Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Mom Came Down to Georgia: part 1

I need to preface my blog by stating that I am not a well-traveled person.  The extent of my travel includes only brief trips to Mexico and Canada.   Therefore, flying around the world was an adventure beyond my wildest dreams- or nightmares I wasn't quite sure which when I began this adventure. 



I left the comforts of home and familiar food Wednesday morning but given the distance I didn't arrive in Tbilisi until Friday morning.  I had a 12-hour layover in Istanbul Turkey which was an adventure in itself and one I don't wish to ever repeat. As soon as I got on the plane to Georgia I felt like I had stepped back in time.  The crew was dressed in skirts and blouses with little hats, and we boarded the plan by walking out on the tarmac and up a portable set of stairs. For me, it was definitely a step back in time.



I arrived in Tbilisi sometime around 2:00 am, and I must say it was good to see Logan’s happy face waiting for me just outside the baggage claim.  I was tired, hungry and ready to be with someone who could just take over and let me just relax.  After a big hug we were off to start our adventure together.  As we walked towards the exit he leaned in to tell me to brace myself for what was waiting outside. How crazy could it be?  Its 2:00 am, shouldn't most people be in bed? How wrong I was.  I think every taxi driver the country was waiting outside smoking and yelling.  I almost wanted to turn back, but grabbed my son’s arm and held on to him and my luggage.  After what sounded like a yelling match and some very unhappy people, Logan turned to me and pointed out the taxi to get into.  I wasn't sure this was a good idea - after all hadn't they just been fighting?  I soon found out that this is how Georgians speak - loud and full of emotion.  Let the fun begin!


The capital city of Tbilisi was a good place to start acclimating me to this foreign country.  English is still commonly spoken, and there are a few American style restaurants here and there.  Including the dessert shop Luca Polare which sold the best gelato I have ever had, I’m not a huge ice cream fan but I loved this stuff! 



The first stop on my tour was the Peace Corp office. Getting to meet all the people behind the scenes working to keep Logan safe, productive, and happy was wonderful.  I have a new love and appreciation for all of them.  After a quick bite to eat we stopped by the FLEX (State Dept. funded high school exchange) program office and Logan introduced me to some of the Georgians he has worked with.  I was so amazed at the work they do and the caliber of the kids that are in this program.  Finally, we headed out to explore the city - touring through old town Tbilisi, my first castle, a waterfall, several churches, and a mosque until sundown. 



That evening we met up with other PCVs at the new "Hard Rock" Tbilisi.  Knowing this was probably my last familiar meal I really enjoyed myself, but probably not as much as the PCV's who have gone without some of these American favorites for much longer than me.  It was fun to get to meet and interact with so many of them and to get to celebrate Melody’s birthday.  We then decided to make the night last a little longer and take the funicular up to the Ferris wheel on top of the hill overlooking Tbilisi.  Unfortunately, we arrived just after the Ferris wheel had closed for the night, so we settled for some hot doughnuts and ice cream. Luckily, Logan decided we needed to walk home rather than take a taxi so we could at least pretend to work off the food we’d just eaten. It was way past my bedtime when we arrived back at the AirBnb and I passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow.  



Saturday morning, I woke up to see Logan dressed and ready for the day. I wasn't about to let him think his mother was too old and/or out of shape so I quickly got ready for another long day.  We were soon on our way to the transit station for another taxi cab shouting/haggling match. We found a driver and were off. Our first stop was the Ananauri Fortress, built on a hill overlooking a valley/present day reservoir.  The view was stunning.  Next, we were continued onto the town of Stepatsminda at the base of Mount Kazbegi.  As we neared the guesthouse our driver started complaining about the dirt road and began to drive slowly and carefully like his vehicle was some precious commodity regardless of the fact that he’d spent the past two hours roaring through the mountains like it was the Indy 500. 



Kazbegi turned out to be an adventure I wasn't ready for.  We took another car up the mountain and it was most definitely the scariest journey of my life. The bumpy dirt roads were barely wide enough for one vehicle, and yet they were packed in both directions with large vans flying around corners with and narrowly squeezing past each other as they barely avoided going off the edge.  I spent the ride praying and hanging onto dear life while Logan sat utterly relaxed.



After a long day of hiking, walking, and exploring we headed to our guest house only to find that there was a miscommunication and dinner was not waiting for us. We had to walk all the way back down to the town to get some dinner.  Like the lunch we had earlier in the day, dinner didn’t turn out very well. I started to wonder if I’d find anything I like to eat, besides the tomato and cucumber salad which was quickly becoming my staple.  Later we walk back up the hill to our our cold no heater-less room.  Logan told me this was just a mild taste of what winter was like. We hunkered down in our beds with our covers pulled over our heads – it’s just like camping, I kept telling myself.  
(I would like to note that on this day I got over 30,000 steps and climbed over 221 flights of stairs according to my Vivofit, Logan was not taking it easy on me.) 



Sunday morning, we headed back to Tbilisi to attend church.  We were a little late but considering the 3 hour marshutka ride back into town, I was just glad we made it there at all.  Church was another new experience for me. I've never attend church meetings that weren’t in English. Here they were speaking Georgian, Russian, and some English.  My favorite part was getting to attend the primary classes and see these sweet spirits singing familiar songs in Georgian and English.  Later that day, after some more sightseeing, we ended our time in Tbilisi by going to dinner with Logan’s friend Nino, a FLEX alumnus.  She was so nice and kind and I so loved hearing her speak English as if it was her native language.  At dinner I laughed as she and Logan talked about FLEX exchange students and their experiences in the US. Afterwards we parted ways and we gathered out belongings and headed to Melody’s house in Tserovani.



Tserovani is an IDP (internally displaced person, like an internal refugee) settlement. Overall, it was much better than I had imagined.  I had pictured a refugee camp with haphazardly built shelters and homes. This settlement was made of identical homes- 2 bedrooms, living room, bathroom and kitchen.  I was amazed to learn that these hundreds of homes were built in just a few months following the August 2008 war with Russia when many  of these people were forced to flee from their homes in the now occupied territory.


After our tour of the settlement with Melody we headed to the old Georgian capital of Mskheta. A quaint town with picturesque streets and shops.  We meet up with Sophia a PCV with Logan’s group and had lunch. With some convincing I decided to give khinkali (Georgian dumplings) another try.  They were so much better than the ones we'd had in Kazbegi.  I really liked it, and since Sophia was there we were even able to order mushroom khinkali without many objections from Logan.  Our stay in Mskheta was short because we needed to board another marshutka, this time to Gori (Stalin’s birthplace) followed by a short taxi ride to Skra (the small village Logan spent his first three months in).



By visiting Skra I finally get to meet Logan’s first host family and who I refer to as his Village Family.  As soon as we stopped in front of the house the family was out the street to meet us.  Logan was quickly hugged and welcomed like their long lost son.  I loved seeing how much he has been welcomed into this family.  I could see right away why Logan likes to come back and visit them whenever possible.  Irma, the host mom, was so warm and kind to me. She was eager to show me around the village and all through their orchards and vineyards.  It was a beautiful place and I loved walking around a learning about their way of life.  It was late when we made it back to the house but Irma still had plans to serve some of Logan’s favorite foods.  In no time at all, there were all kinds of food being set out for us. It was so much more than I could ever imagine eating on an empty stomach, not to mention the fact that my stomach was still adjusting to all the new foods and tastes.  I tried as much as I dared and Logan covered for me a few times by eating off my plate or making it look like I had tried more than I actually did.  I certainly didn't want to offend anyone, but at the same time I knew that my fragile stomach could only handle so much. To top it all off I even got to experience the dreaded outhouse I had seen pictures of a year ago.  It wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected, but I was fine only visiting it once. Thankfully my body agreed with my mind.



Tuesday once again started bright and early, we said our good byes and caught a train from the village to Borjomi. Turns out the train is much more enjoyable than the marshutka. Borjomi was our destination but we stopped only long enough to drop off our stuff off and catch the next marshutka. 
Marshutkas are always an adventure, and this day it didn't disappoint.  We found the spot to wait and soon the marshutka pulled up. As soon as we started to approach it another newer marshutka pulled up behind. We decided we would just get on that one instead.  As we got on the second marshutka the first driver came around asking us what we were doing and launched into a triad yelling at our driver and seemingly us and others who choose this vehicle over his. Most Georgian sounds like yelling but I knew without a doubt this was no holds barred yelling.  The guy was going postal.  There was no way I was going to get on that marshutka with this stark raving lunatic.  After no one decided to move he took off squeezing his tires as he left.  Our driver waited around for a few more minutes before taking off.  He had remained calm the entire time, but he must have internalized his anger because he seemed to be taking it all out on the road.  I really thought this might be the end for me.  We were flying around corners, and passing everything in our way.  In no time at all we passed that first marshutka.  I was so relieved when we finally made it to our destination. I wasn't sure Logan could ever get me back in another marshutka again. 


We met up with another one of Logan’s friends for lunch and then took a taxi up to see the Rabati Fortress.  Finally, a really fortress and not another rundown set of ruins on a mountain top. It was beautiful and everything I imagined a fortress to be.  It had recently undergone some major renovations but it was worth it.  The grounds were amazing, full of color and contrast.  The buildings were restored and refurbished but still maintained the old feel but with a clean look.  I loved hiking up the stairs in the tower and I felt like Rapunzel when we reached the top.  The views from the openings were beyond description.  Taking pictures really didn't do the place justice. 


After spending plenty of time exploring the museum and fortress grounds we headed off to see the ancient cave city of Vardzia, another place I was looking forward to experiencing.  I had reviewed Logan’s pictures before coming and knew this was one place I really wanted to see.  It did not disappoint.  I am still amazed at how this cave city could even exist.  How in the world did these monks create such a place in the side of a mountain?  The caves were used to live in, to eat and prepare food, to worship, and who knows what else. It was unbelievable to think of the community they were able to create in the side of this mountain, not to mention how they got supplies and tools up there to construct what they did.  It would be an arduous endeavor today but to think that it was done almost 1,000 years ago is mind boggling to me. 


When it was time to return to Borjomi and I had no choice but to haul my butt back into another marshutka. We caught the last marshutka headed back to Borjomi and expected the normal 45 min ride. However, this driver unlike all the others was in no hurry to arrive anywhere.  We were driving so slow even semis were passing us.  We stopped for anyone that even remotely looked like they may need a ride somewhere.  You would have thought he was trying to fill empty seats, but no!  We were at capacity with some people standing.  To top this all off we were about 2 miles from our stop when a passenger talked him in to stopping for a break.  It turned out to be a 20-minute smoke break! We arrived back in Borjomi an hour later than expected. Starving and ready for some dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment