Sunday, December 13, 2015

Rain Rain Go Away

Ho ho ho ho....

December is here in Poti and I doubt we are going to have a white Christmas, however the chances for a wet Christmas are extremely high! This week was pretty miserable, it rained every day starting Monday evening. When it is raining there isn't much to do since everyone stays inside to avoid getting wet. That means that most of my week was spent sitting in a small 9'x35' room which doubles as the kitchen, dining, and living room. It's the only room with a real gas heater so it is the warmest place to be and where everyone congregates. Grandmother has her chair facing the TV, mother is always milling around doing something, and the rest come and go. Guests come often, food is eaten, and there is plenty of neighborhood gossip. It's not too bad, but being trapped in there for several days can start to be really exhausting. Let's all hope for a mild winter, or in the least one that doesn't include full weeks of rain.

You are looking at my brother's pride and joy, the front garden. He is very protective of it. Don't even think about eating his plants, especially if you are a cow wandering the street.

Needless to say, after a week of rain I was pretty stir crazy come the weekend. I decided to get together with my neighbor Randi and make cinnamon rolls- our first foray into holiday baking. Thankfully this wasn't Randi's first time and they actually turned out deliciously. (Side note, deliciously is an actual word in Georgian and it is used quite often. You can describe how you ate- deliciously, or you can tell someone to enjoy- deliciously; it's rather strange.) After a successful Saturday I didn't mind the rain that came later that evening.

Exhibit A: I loaded that thing with cinnamon, sugar, and butter

Sunday I stayed in bed- in a sleeping bag, under 4 blankets; all morning until my host mother told me I should get up. It was still raining. However, by the afternoon it stopped and I was able to go on a walk. I had no destination in mind so I naturally ended up at sea, near the lighthouse. I really needed to stretch my legs since I hadn't used them much all week. After arriving at my spot, I noticed that I was all alone and decided that that I needed more Christmas cheer. Therefore I proceeded to spend 30 minutes belting Christmas songs into the air and out across the sea. The Michael Buble Christmas album is a favorite for singing along.

Exhibit B: We smothered those babies in vanilla glaze

Home life was rather uneventful, and school provided little respite. Many students couldn't be bothered to show up to class on the rainy days. The poor weather seems to really get to people here, I would imagine this is what living in Seattle might be like. When it's gloomy out people aren't very active and the mood at home, school, and across the town is more somber, less jovial. Because of the rain, no one showed up to my English club, I didn't get to visit the orphanage, and I spent a lot of time reading.

I won't put you through any more drawn out explanations of an otherwise uneventful week, I think that you get the picture. However, regardless of the weather, December is here and Christmas is coming. There is a lot to do to get ready. If I get my way, I will be introducing my students to the glory of an ugly sweater party as well as the classic white elephant gift exchange.


No comments:

Post a Comment