Tuesday, December 22, 2015

No Heat, No Power, No Service

Coming back to school after a long week away can be a difficult thing. Luckily, my school had a surprise waiting for me- no heat, and no power! Something had happened while I was at my training and there had been no heat or power since Thursday morning. To cope with the unforeseen difficulty the decided to shorten all classed to 35 min- shaving an hour or so off of the school day. There is nothing like a short day to get you through a case of the Mondays.

Tuesday things were back to normal, but on Wednesday the heat was out again. This time it was out in the whole neighborhood, including at my house. It was a cold day. However, I can't complain because at least we "heat" (it's a minimal amount of heat); most schools and homes use petchis aka old wood burning stoves. To heat their homes and schools. That is what my family in the village uses. It works well, but you have to stoke it and it leaves a smoky smell even if the chimney pipes it out. Also, I have heard some really strange stories from other volunteers about what kids throw in the petchis to keep them going. Apparently they don't always have a stockpile of wood on hand.

Aside from school, I also had a Christmas photo shoot with Randi. If you haven't seen the pics you should check out my last post. I was going to save them for this week's post, but I was too impatient to post them.

Later on Wednesday I visited the orphanage and taught the kids how to play UNO. It was a great time. That game has served me well wherever I go in the world. I don't think I have ever met a kid who didn't like playing UNO. Plus it is really easy to explain, you can act out most of the requirements and people will catch on. The downside of teaching kids these games is that they all want to gang up on me while playing. I don't think I have ever been the but of so many draw 2 and draw 4 cards!

My weekend was another busy one as well. I left on Friday afternoon for Kutaisi where I was planning to meet up with some other volunteers to help run a Model UN competition for some local university students. These types of activities are not very common in Georgia and are great for teaching critical thinking skills.

When I arrived in Kutaisi I met up with another volunteer at the McDonald's (conveniently located next to the bus station- "yes I would like fries with that!") As we were leaving I had the weird sensation that I was missing something. After a quick inventory (I wasn't carrying anything) I realized that I had left my backpack on the marshutka.

We raced to the station to the area where Poti's marshutka wait and found out that I had ridden in on the one marshutka a day which doesn't stop in Kutaisi but rather continues on to Zestaponi. That meant that my bag was still in transit. I explained my situation to some of the men hanging around and soon several were on their phones making some phone calls to try and figure out who was driving the marsh I had been on. It didn't take long before they had a phone number and were able to call and explain my situation. (Georgia is a such a small place, everyone literally knows everyone. If they don't, then they know someone who does.)

A short while later I found myself on another marsh headed to Zestaponi to find my bag. The ride took a lot longer than estimated, but the driver was there waiting when I arrived. He had probably been waiting for close to an hour by the time I showed up. There was nothing which said he had to wait, he could've left my bag with someone, or just told me I was out of luck. However he chose to wait, because that is what they do here. They take care of each other. I really appreciate that about Georgians. Even more so, they take care of me because they recognize that I am a foreigner here and don't have the same connections and network that they have.

In the end it just ended up being a 2 hour detour in my plans, but I got a good reminder of true Georgian hospitality, and more time to listen to my book on tape- A Christmas Carol (I have to get in the Christmas spirit somehow). I joined the other volunteers at my friend's apartment and we had a great night playing Settlers of Catan (genius idea of someone to bring the travel version).

The Model UN event also went off without a hitch on Saturday. We had a fair turn out (nothing like a Model UN event back home), and the students did a great job. We conducted the entire even in English which forced the students to really work on their English skills. It can be hard enough to participate in your native tongue but doing the same in a foreign language is really tough! It was great to see how they approached the issues and tried to really represent their designated countries. The student representing Saudi Arabia really dressed up like a Saudi!

Unfortunately I was unable to stay and watch the final session of the competition on Sunday, I had to get back to Poti for some other appointments. The next day I had to meet my counterpart teacher and our fifth grade class at the school to begin our work on their New Year's presentation. Oh boy is it going to be a hit! I haven't decided if it will be a miracle or a hot mess, but either way it is going to be a good time for all. They will be performing 2 short plays in English- Red Riding Hood (nothing screams Christmas like ol' Red), and a New Year's fable called the New Year Fairy. After the plays they will sing a rousing rendition of Jingle Bells and conclude with some traditional Georgian dances, samba, and hip-hop. Oh and did I mention that they are going to have this all ready to go in a week?! Unfortunately I will be leaving for my Holiday vacation and won't be in Poti to watch the presentation. I have made many a person promise to record the whole things for me. If they do I will be sure to share!

Finally, the week ended with some more Christmas preparations- sugar cookies and Elf. I can't believe that Christmas is right around the corner! The city is just starting to decorate for the season. They have set up a large Christmas tree in the center and hang light across some of the streets. It all seems late to me, but I have to remember that their holiday season starts a lot later because it carries over well into January.

That's all I have for now, if I don't talk to you before Friday then Merry Christmas to all!

I'll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment