Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Why Georgia?

Sometime near my 25th birthday I decided I was in a quarter-life crisis. I felt stuck in a rut and needed to mix things up. Life was too static. Thoughts of change became my internal obsession- planning, preparing, procrastinating.

I applied for jobs, I explored avenues for change, and told myself that it would happen. I was anxious; I thought I was patient. Time passed like a roller coaster and my quarter-life crisis faded from view. Nothing had changed and I receded back to contentment. One thing stuck with me however, and that was this song:

 "Why Georgia"

I am driving up 85 in the
Kind of morning that lasts all afternoon
just stuck inside the gloom
4 more exits to my apartment but
I am tempted to keep the car in drive
And leave it all behind

Cause I wonder sometimes
About the outcome
Of a still verdictless life

Am I living it right?
Am I living it right?
Am I living it right?
Why Georgia, why?

I rent a room and I fill the spaces with
Wood in places to make it feel like home
But all I feel 's alone
It might be a quarter life crisis
Or just the stirring in my soul

Either way I wonder sometimes
About the outcome
Of a still verdictless life

Am I living it right?
Am I living it right?
Am I living it right?
Why Georgia, why?

So what, so I've got a smile on
But it's hiding the quiet superstitions in my head
Don't believe me
When I say I've got it down

Everybody is just a stranger but
That's the danger in going my own way
I guess it's the price I have to pay
Still "everything happens for a reason"
Is no reason not to ask myself

If I am living it right
Am I living it right?
Am I living it right?
Why Georgia, why?

I'd never stopped to listen to the lyrics before, but it became a sort of anthem during my "crisis." Every time I heard it, it spurred my thoughts back to figuring out my next step in life, and more dead ends. 

Twenty-five turned out to be an amazing year, in hindsight there were plenty of changes and adventures that I overlooked at the time. I traveled, took risks, faced fears, and became more aware and comfortable with who I was. I made new lifelong, best friends; came out publicly, and even marched in the Pride parade; hugged a wild sloth and swam with pink dolphins (trust me it was life changing). 25 was monumental!

While I was riding this imperceptible wave of change my mind came to rest on the Peace Corps. It was an idea I had entertained many times during and since graduation, but the timing had never felt right. One day in mid-May I decided it was the right time; I applied. 

The whole process took 6 months from application to accepting my invite to serve. Those six months gave me plenty of time to think it through while I continued to explore other possibilities. When the formal invite arrived before Thanksgiving it just felt right. I accepted without looking back. 

Since Thanksgiving my life has been full of change. Preparations began immediately. I began to plan as many vacations as possible (naturally), quit my job, packed up my life in DC, said more goodbyes than I ever wanted to, drove across the country (meandering through as many states as possible to check the South off my travel list), started a new job as a lobbyist in Utah and learned a whole new side of politics, traveled to India, moved back to my parents' house, boxed up 26 years of memories and belongings, and began to say more goodbyes to family and friends. Georgia was on my mind, and my horizon. 

Now the time is here. 

I'm leaving, and many are asking, "Why Georgia, Why?" My replies have varied person by person, but internally it has boiled down to one thing:

I wonder sometimes
About the outcome
Of a still verdictless life


3 comments: