Monday, January 2, 2017

Home for Christmas

Going home during my Peace Corps service was never something I had planned on, but it was a much needed break. I love living and working in Georgia, my overall experience as a Peace Corps Volunteer has been phenomenal. However, as I mentioned previously, it is easy to get worn out in the daily grind. When I am in Georgia I feel that I have to always be “on.” The moments when I can truly relax are few and far between. Part of this is due to Georgian culture and the other part is due to the Peace Corps culture of being a volunteer 24/7. Thus going home became an opportunity to truly relax.

The annual Christmas tree of lights around the statue of St George in Freedom Square

The trip home went smoothly but I was prepared for the worst. The evening before my flight I met up with some other volunteers and we went to a nice dinner to celebrate Liz’s birthday. Afterwards we went out dancing and then it was time for me to gather my things and head to the airport for my 4am flight. I had a 6-hour layover in Stockholm and opted to stay in the airport rather than venture out. Luckily I found that the airport hotel had an offer for people to use their gym/spa and eat breakfast so that is what I did. The entire experience was wonderful. The buffet breakfast was simply amazing (if I was a crier, I probably would’ve cried when I saw it). The people so kind. The pool and sauna were relaxing. I could go on an on.

Christmas Eve PJs with the family

After leaving from Stockholm I had a direct flight to Las Vegas and then it was on to Salt Lake City. I had no issues picking up and rechecking my luggage at each stage, even better the large snow storm didn’t hit Utah until I landed. Once I had my luggage it was into the car and straight home for some Christmas Eve festivities.

A white Christmas

Being home for this Christmas was perfect because it was the first time my whole family has been together in 3 years. All of my siblings were there, as well as their spouses and my new little nephew. Home is home and it was good to be back. Christmas day was cold and snowy- just like it should be. There was so much food to be eaten and I didn’t hold back one bit- too many flavors to savor and too little time.

My adorable nephew Zealand 

The most common question I was asked was if it was strange to be back. Did I have reverse culture shock? Honestly, it just felt normal. I think I have spent enough time abroad that I can adapt to new things easily enough, but I don’t forget what home or my normal is like. That being said I can say that I was utterly amazed by the toilets in America. I had forgotten how they flush and I was mesmerized every time. The silent swirling water stands in contrast so the variety of flushes in Georgia.

Family picture in the snow

The majority of my time home was spent visiting people. I visited friends from high school, college, and DC. I also spent time with grandparents, aunts, uncle, and cousins. Best of all I spent hours playing with my adorable nephew. I was glad I was able to meet him while he is still small. By the time I make it home he will probably be a year old, walking, and beginning to gabber.

3pm Stockholm sunset

After a week at home I was ready to get back to Georgia and finish my work. The return flight took the same route, except this time I took the time to leave the airport and visit Stockholm. It was New Year’s day so many businesses were closed and I had a hard time finding a reasonable place to eat. I walked a lot until I found a restaurant serving traditional Swedish food- the reindeer meatballs were delicious! After eating I wandered the town and checked out some sights. I think my favorite moment was when I walked into an old church and was doing some reflecting on the New Year, a lady came into the church sat at the organ and played, How Great Thou Art. A favorite hymn of mine which just warmed my soul.

Wandering the streets of Stockholm

Stockholm was a beautiful city. It was brisk but not oppressive and everyone was friendly. The strangest part was the 3pm sunset. I hadn’t thought much about that before, but given how far north the city is the days are considerably shorter. It was helpful for my jet lag though because it tricked my body into thinking I spent a whole day in Sweden so the 36 hours home felt like 48 and my body has adjusted rapidly. Soon enough I was in Tbilisi. The bus wasn’t operating for some reason so I had to take a taxi home- I hate the airport taxis. The driver agreed to a decent fare but he wouldn’t stop pestering me to teach him English and help him get a job in Germany. He also drove at least 20-30 kmh under the speed limit and kept taking shots of vodka as he drove...Welcome back to Georgia :)

No comments:

Post a Comment