Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Deconstructing Disappointment



If you've been following my blog over the past year then you have probably heard my mention BUILD our summer camp for young georgian men 14-17 years old. Last year was our first ever BUILD camp and this year we have been working to grow and solidify the camp structure. 

Chasing dream just like we chase waterfalls

Some of the changes from last year to this year include:
- Increased funding from a 10,000gel to 26,000gel ($11k) grant
- Increase from one 4-day camp to two 6-day camps
- Increase accepted campers from 20 to 58
- Triple the number of applications for camp
- Added a mentor panel
- Added a service project
- Added employability workshops
- Redesigned our our post camp community project component
- Begun the plans to establish BUILD as a registered local Georgian NGO


On my end I have been responsible for training counselors, creating the curriculum, and structuring the camp format. We have found 8 Georgian men from 19-24 who are fluent in English and have demonstrated interest in mentoring young men, to be our counselors. This year's batch is especially talented and accomplished. They will be great role models. 

I am just adding nature pictures to lighten the mood

Needless to say we have been VERY busy over the past year and especially busy over the past few weeks. It might even be accurate to say that we have put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this work. (I'm fairly positive I cut myself at camp last year, lately I've been sweating a lot with all the heat in my room while I work, and some set backs have moved me to at least the verge of tears. 

We received notice that our grant was approved on July 1st and have been in talks with the embassy to get all the final details settled before we could sign the contact. We were finally able to get our contract with the embassy signed and were ready to go; HOWEVER, the embassy soon delivered some untimely news. It was going to take an additional 3 weeks to disburse the funds. Our first group of campers were set to arrive on July 23rd. Today is the 26th so as you might have guessed that didn't happen. 

Just water water everywhere and no Pokemon.

Once the bad news was delivered we began to look at our contingency options. We had the option to self-fund the camp and reimburse ourselves afterwards. The other option was to postpone camp. Obviously the latter option won. Since we won't be able to start camp until we receive the money and we have to be finished before a training we have in early September. This led to us choosing the last two weeks of August. Coincidentally those are the same two weeks I planned my summer vacation. 

The decision was a devastating blow. I have put a lot of work into this camp and having to chose to reschedule it for a time when I am unable to attend is very disheartening. The decision was made Friday morning which meant we had to move quickly to notify all the campers and counselors of the changes. It was hectic and stressful, two emotions which don't go well with disheartened.  Luckily, things have settled down. I have come to terms with missing camp and there have been a few silver linings- I got to meet Randi's sister and mother who were in town and I am going to get to watch the opening ceremonies of the olympics (good things right?). 

We're in the middle of nowhere and Liliya still finds some Ukrainians 

Now I am moving on. I have extra time to perfect some of the weaker points in the camp plan and curriculum. I also have to train all the counselors remotely and make sure that my fellow PCVs fully understand the plan for camp. I also suddenly have 2 weeks open which were previously planned and I need to figure out what to do to fill my time productively. Luckily I have figured out most of that time already. First, I have started playing Pokemon Go and become a big fish in a little pond by taking control of almost all the gyms in Poti. On a more serious note, I have volunteered to help teach a Summer camp in Lower Svaneti for the next 4 days. That will at least get me out of Poti and up into the mountains in a new part of Georgia I have yet to explore. 

P.S. There is a great dolphin show in Batumi (the Black sea has lots of dolphins)

No comments:

Post a Comment