Tuesday, May 24, 2016

As We Go On, We Remember

End of year activities are in full swing here in Poti. Who doesn't love graduation season? Per usual Georgians do things in their own way, but figuring out how it all works has been a lot of fun.

From my field trip with 10th graders this weekend

I had a normal 5 day school week (don't worry there is another holiday coming up) and the highlight came on Thursday which was also known as Last Bell since the 12th grade also graduated that day and therefore wouldn't hear any more school bells. Last Bell is a tradition all across Georgia in every school and the seniors begin preparing for it early in the year. It is basically a sort of closing assembly created and put on by the graduating students. I can only imagine how nervous school administration in the US would feel if each year they let 12th graders take control of the auditorium and stage for a performance.

The 12th graders themselves

In my school there are 2 twelfth grade classes XII-1 and XII-2, I taught XII-1 all year long and was excited to see what they had come up with. They had been talking about Last Bell for quite some time and had been holding practices on weekends for at least a month. When Thursday came there were definitely more students at school than on a regular day. I saw some of my 12th graders for the first time since Winter break. Everyone always turns up when there is a party to be had.

A delicious celebratory cake

Since yearbooks aren't a thing here in Poti, students have to find some other way to save memories and share future wishes. The tradition in Georgia is to wear a white shirt- often an oxford, and then ask people to write their thoughts and wishes for you on the shirt in permanent marker. I spent a good amount of time surrounded by my students while I wrote my best wishes to them in felt tip marker on white cotton. For some this is the most they've interacted with me since last fall. Either way I decided to leave a positive note for each and every one of them.

Look at the over filtered version of their yearbook shirts

Attendance is a large problem school wide, but it is perhaps it is worst among the 12th graders. School isn't mandatory after 9th grade so many students without plans to attend university tend to leave before they reach the 12th grade. In order to graduate students must pass 8 subject exams- 4 after 11th grade and 4 after 12th (Georgian lit, English, History, and Math- luckily I found out to day that all of my students have passed all of their tests). Additionally, if they miss too many days of school they must take additional subject exam. However, I suspect that teachers might use some creative accounting because the number of students who had to take the extra exams was a lot less than those who would have had we gone by my memory.

Never pass up a jumping pic opportunity

Anyways, students came to school one last time, shirts were signed, classes were taught, and finally it was time for the last bell performance. Teachers and students crowded into our tiny auditorium in anticipation. It is generally times like this that I enjoy playing the teacher and foreigner card together because it tends to get me a good seat at the front of the audience and away from the craziness. With only a slight delay, my students soon entered wearing matching customized shirts and the show was off. There were jokes, dancing, singing, and several skits. I can never understand Georgian very well when it's shouted into a microphone so I just enjoyed the visuals of it all. At one point they gave flowers to all of their teachers and I even received a yellow rose but didn't catch the superlative they gave me, however there was plenty of laughter.

Rocking the selfie stick

Watching the students on stage made me feel proud to be their teacher despite all the times that I wanted to walk out of the classroom when they were being terrible. I am excited to see what they end up doing with their lives and where they next few years takes them. When I signed up for the Education program within Peace Corps I wasn't quite sure what I was getting into. Over the past year I have finally started to understand why education sector work is one of the largest areas for volunteers to serve. It is easy to think that volunteers are just here to teach English (at least in Georgia that is what all education sector volunteers do), however the effects are much greater.

Smiles not allowed

In the case of Georgia, a post Soviet republic, we are also sharing American values and ideas. In a country that is still working to shake off the shadow of its communist past, education volunteers are granted limitless access to to the rising generation. Skills like critical and creative thinking which struggles during soviet times are the focus of lessons now. Gender norms are challenged. Youth are motivated and encouraged to take responsibility. This form of development takes place internally within the rising generation but it is just as beneficial and important as digging wells and providing access to clean water or any other stereotypical development projects that people nevision when they think of this Peace Corps. However unlike other projects the results and changes of this sort of hearts and minds type development will take years or even a generation to fully reveal itself.

I'd like to think I've become more photogenic...
Sunday I also celebrated the 10 year anniversary of my High School graduation and enlight of the cliched Dr. Suess book "Oh, the Places You'll Go" I reflected on my past 10 years:

Well, Dr. Seuss you were right!
I did head straight out of town,
and I started happening too.
I have soared to high heights,
and I've had several slumps.
I've been confused, 
and often visited the waiting place...
But I've always escaped, 
and learned how to ride high!
I've found my own fame,
and I've been all alone.
I've weathered the foul, 
and faced up to my problems.
I've gotten mixed up with many strange birds, 
and tried to master life's great balancing act.
In my own way I've found some success 
and can't wait for- Oh, the places I'll go next!

No comments:

Post a Comment