Monday, October 12, 2015

Home Sweet (3rd) Home

Every week the question is, what am I going to write about this time- sometimes there is nothing to write about other times (like this week) there is too much. Now without further ado I present my memoirs of the week…

My thoughts whenever I'm asked this question..

School. I had the thought this week as I was teaching my 12th grade class, ten years ago when I was a senior in high school I am sure someone asked us to try and imagine where we would be in ten years. I don’t think I pictured myself teaching high school, I guarantee you that I didn’t see myself teaching high school in a foreign country. Ten years ago I was behind the desk and now I’m in front of the blackboard.

I got invited (read suckered into) attending some presentation at school, no idea what was going on

This week I had my first experience with solo teaching. (I am partnered with several teachers so that I’m not only teaching English to the students, but also working with the teachers to improve their teaching skills, and to have a native speaker in the classroom.) One of my counterparts had to stay home with a sick child and I found myself covering for her in two different classes- 6th and 11th. In the 6th grade the students don’t know enough English and I don’t know enough Georgian that things were pretty interesting. At one point I made a student stand with his nose in the corner because he wouldn’t stop talking, I’m pretty sure he had no idea what was going on. In the 11th grade there were enough kids who understood English that I was able to conduct a lesson. However that lesson included sending a student to the director’s office and me taking kids chairs away when they weren’t paying attention. The boys didn’t take my threat seriously and were begging for chairs by the end (they only had to stand for 15-20 min). I am pretty sure that if I could experience either of those classes from the perspective of a student I would die laughing and probably think the American teacher was literally insane. Maybe I am.

There are some strange houses in town

Now for the highlight of my week, my new brothers. If you’ve been reading then you probably remember that this week I was set to move to my new host family’s house (I did), but that’s not what I am referring too. This week my friend took me to a local orphanage to meet the children there who all happen to attend my school. When we knocked at the door one of the boys popped over to answer and when he say me he started to shout, “Logan is here! Logan is here!” I have never seen someone so excited to see me. I melted.

There are 6 boys and 3 girls in this orphanage, ages 7-16. Orphanage is not the perfect word for it either. Most of them have some sort of family- mom, dad, or grandparents; in Poti still. However, they are unable to take care of them and thus they are in the orphanage but occasionally they get to go to their homes on the weekends. They are adorable, and some of them are in classes. My new house is only a couple of blocks away which is perfect. I had always hopped for younger host siblings but haven’t gotten any, until now.

Meet Giorgi, Giorgi, and Giorgi... yep all three of my new friends have the same name.

Today I spent over 3 hours hanging out with them and getting grilled about America, my family, and any other questions they could think of. They taught me to play Georgian checkers, lotto, and even attempted a backgammon lesson (I still don’t get it). We also facetimed with my family back in America. They loved it all. Secretly, I loved it even more. 

How do I have so much stuff!?

Finally, as I mentioned, this week was moving week. The actual act of moving was relatively painless. It was a reminder how much junk I have though. To think I brought that all to Georgia in two checked bags… Anyways, Friday I packed up my belongings and my new host brother Giga and his friend Carlos (not his actual name) came to pick me up and take me to my new place. 

New room aka the Ice Box

Overall I am really happy with the change. I am closer to my school, and the family is great. My room is larger but more “rustic”. I have an actual toilet, but the shower isn’t that great. My family is VERY attentive, I’ll probably get fat and can kiss my privacy good bye. There are pros and cons with everything. This is my 3rd time adjusting to a new host family. Each time has been very different. This new family is very welcoming and reminds me of my village family. My host siblings are quite close in age to me- 24 and 28. I now have a bebia (grandmother) as well, the number of kisses I have gotten from here in just two days is unreal. You’d think that I as a newborn baby with all the attention I’m getting. 

My veranda, yes I will be calling it a veranda.

The weather has finally taken a turn and is getting cooler. It rained a lot this week which lead to some really chilly nights. I think I now have 4 blankets on my bed and I sleep in sweats. I am worried to see what the actual winter months bring. I can’t imagine what it would be like if I lived up in the mountains. It’s not that it is even that cold, 50s or 60s probably. The problem is that there is no heat inside. Some places are colder inside than out due to lack of insulation and amount other things. Give it another month and I’ll probably be looking for ways to make human hibernation a real thing.

Well I’ll leave it at that. Things are going well. Plenty of projects in the pipeline. Plenty of changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment